Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Monday, May 3, 2021

Freeblades WIP report

 Been very busy doing real life stuff, but that hasn’t stopped me from sneaking in some hobby time. I only have two Terminators of my Space Hulk commission left to do but I needed a break. So I started to work on my Dino riding Freeblades warband.

The first picture I am showing you is the concept art.


The following picture is a photo from the website of what my actual model is supposed to look like. This is the leader of my band of savage heroes and he is called a Keshark.


Now the shield that you can’t see on this figure (that is not painted by me) is a round shield with a square shield laid over top of it. So it’s lined up like a baseball diamond, and while it looks cool, if you look at the round shield in the concept art, this I like way better. 

Now the beasts that they ride are called Velozar’s and they (of course) remind me of velociraptors from Jurassic Park. On another note these figures have caused me to watch Jurassic Park and it’s follow ons more than a few times.

Okay the Velozar has the leap ability which in the game of Freeblades cancels some ones counter charge. This made me think of how I wanted to pose the figure. To me it needed to be dynamic.

Now while the figures from DGS Games for Freeblades are nice, they are very static. The way the are made makes the ability to pose them very difficult, and the fact they don’t have a variety of model poses makes it harder to make yours unique. Now I belong to their Facebook group and they have some good painters that show their projects and I am pretty awed by it. But one can only paint a figure so many different ways, and bottom line is it’s still the same pose.

Kevin was having none of that. Kevin is unique. Kevin must be different🤔

Since there is only one rider, and one that is not very posable, I still needed to keep to the spirit of it being a Freeblades model. So what could I change? 

It hit me like a freight train! 3D printing was my answer! Someone out there had to make something close to 32mm and with the popularity of velociraptors my hope rose as I started searching Etsy.

I will post more in the coming days on this project.

Cheers
Kevin


3 comments:

  1. Great looking mounted hero, Kevin. I can understand about life getting in the way of the hobby. In fact, I've been the same being distracted with health concerns for my family in Hawaii the past several weeks. Hearing of some improvement the other day, I finally was able to pick up a brush again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean, and prayers go out for your family. I hope all goes well.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Kevin! Appreciate the thoughts and prayers!

      Delete