Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Thursday, May 6, 2021

Freeblades Traazorite Keshark finished

Quintus (ie fifth) Albus (ie White, bright in latin) the Lion of Isarchael a title bestowed upon him by the Emperor himself for his courage and bravery in the many rear guard actions he led that saved many a Legion from certain destruction during the final days. The Emperor has decreed that he is allowed to carry his family crescent upon his shield. There is not a Traazorite that has not heard the fabled stories of Quintus riding upon his famous Velozar Azrael in their many battles together.

Now we move on to the conversion bits. I replaced the mount with an Etsy 3D print Velociraptor which was a perfect match in size to the actual mount that came with model. To modify the Keshark figure I had to really work out the bits in the crotch area with my dremel to get him to properly fit on mount. Next I converted the cloak as the one he came with was a short shot, so I used a Roman General cloak from Victrix plastic sprue and then used green stuff to tie it in. Lastly I liked the large round shield in the concept art so I needed to replace his arm as it is cast onto the baseball diamond shield that comes with figure. I took a Victrix Carthaginian arm from one of their plastic sprues and cut it off on the elbow, and a round Hoplite shield also from Victrix plastic sprue and used them to replace his shield arm. I used a shield transfer that covered about 60 percent of shield so I had to use some blending skills to match the paint and tie it all in.

On another note, today, I discovered how fragile these 3D prints can be. I suppose material used to make them has something to do with it. I proceeded to work on my Velozar Knight conversion, when my clumsy butt dropped the model onto a carpeted floor. The dino shattered at the ankles, with one leg breaking into three pieces. I was pissed as hell since I had put a lot of work into painting it. Super glue wouldn’t take, and I’ve decided that 3D printing is not where people think it is at. While it’s cool to get something special, to replace something that you can get without a good reason to do so is just a waste of time and money until we see some quality improvement in 3D printing materials.

Anyways, tell me what you think of the Keshark.









As always thanks for looking!

Cheers
Kevin


9 comments:

  1. Whoah! This is an award-winning masterpiece, Kevin. The movement and composition are awesome - not to mention the painting. The rider is great, but the coloring of the raptor is over-the-top. Also, I can't tell where the breakage was on the raptor's leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise Dean and thank you. This one is the Keshark (like a Freeblades warband leader). What broke was the velociraptor for my Knight. I could not repair him, but a friend suggested a way to bypass actually fixing it, but that will be another post when I complete it.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
    2. Ah, I see. Misread that. Dean

      Delete
  2. Nice work! Looks as if it was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, a killing machine!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. Initially I couldn’t understand why recreate the wheel. I mean why change it. Now I get it. This looks completely different than the Freeblades sculpt. It was worth the extra effort. He looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MP. I know what you mean. When I was explaining what I was going to do with it, you had that 1000 yard stare. But for sure seeing it in action surely helps.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. This is an abomination! A perfectly good historical figure intentionally perverted into something almost demonic! SHAME!

    There may as well be some serious copywrite infringements here. (I am actually waiting to hear back from the manufacturer about that.)

    Nice paint though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a funny man! I have not given up on converting you to the powers of the dark side😉

      Delete