Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Monday, April 2, 2018

Harley Quinn (The Batman Miniatures game)

Today I gave myself a migraine. How did I give myself a migraine? Easy, I pushed my painting skill level beyond my current ability. Now I know I paint pretty good, and I've been doing it a long time, and the thing is you don't get better unless you paint... a lot. 

On Harley I know what I wanted to achieve. I could visualize it in my head. My problem with doing that was I simply didn't know how. I never really painted faces but on these 35mm models you kind of have to if you want to give them some character from the comic books. These last few years I have picked up my game quite a bit, with glazing, blending, etc. But I know I have a long way to go. I spent most of yesterday preparing her, and all of today just trying to get the face right without screwing it up. 

In the end I am happy with it. It will look beautiful on the gaming table, and I can't wait to see what kind of tricks she can pull off facing Batman.

I painted her face up to look like she had that white pasty clown makeup on. I need to get a lot better at making stuff look more translucent. But I will say I am happy with what I did do, and in the end that's all that matters.

I am finding that I like pushing myself a bit more when it comes to painting, and enjoying it just as much if not more than actually gaming.

Here she is in all her glory, and I hope you like what I created. 





Cheers
Kevin

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Terri, I thought you might like her.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Looks awesome! Well worth a migraine. You deserve a nice shot of bourbon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ain’t kidding brother, today I’ve just been vegging. Next up are her henchmen.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. She turned out GREAT! The clown makeup was a brilliant choice for your first face attempt and it looks outstanding! The eyes! Nice.

    You better not start putting eyes on your Saga stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Skip, and no way am I going there with Saga figures.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. Superb, like a character-shot from the movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anton, I was hoping it had that feel.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  5. Great work on this very cool sculpt, Kevin. Dig the samurai armor and the Takeda mon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. Samuria armor thats funny, but the Takeda mon it never dawned on me, but how true. For those that don’t know the Takeda mon was four diamonds patterned the way they are on Harley’s legs. These symbols would be on their banners and sashimono’s.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  6. Nice! Are you going to make the rest of the suicide Squad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary, and yes I have it planned, will see when that happens though.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  7. She came out nice. What a great warlord fig for your Saga Samurai army! The dice will be flying when she unloads that machine pistol on Daimyo Skip in the shooting phase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, that would be great and she would tower over Saga 28’s. Special rule for Skip would be all his units suffer one fatigue automatically when she is present;)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  8. Very nicely done, wonderful colors...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, she was fun to paint.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete