Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Rangers of Shadowdeep

 Two posts in one day! Miracles will never cease to happen in the land that is my hobby miniature toy soldiers!

Okay so since the great plague has us all, I am sure, finding and discovering new ways to enjoy their hobbies. It's had me on a journey to discover rule sets that not only provide Solo play mechanics, but also to be able to play cooperatively and/or go head to head. I have found several rulesets that do this, and good ones to boot. Two of my favorite right now are "Core Space" (scifi), and "Rangers of Shadowdeep" (fantasy).

Rangers of Shadowdeep has you taking a Ranger (which represents you) and a few companions on a perilous quest to fight your way past monsters, find treasure, but ultimately to discover why the darkness is spreading across the land.

I am almost finished painting my Ranger up, but a friend of mind shared a youtube video of how to paint fur. One of my Rangers Companions is his loyal Dire Wolf. So I was like okay I'll have a watch. The color theory the gentlemen shows had me open up my eyes to a different way to paint. Where I layer paint dark to light, he shows a way to go light to dark. I was like man I have to try this. So I did, and I hope you like my results.

I present my Dire Wolf from Game of Thrones line that "Dark Sword" makes, and they are awesome.





As always thanks for looking.

Cheers
Kevin


12 comments:

  1. Oh, stunning - very beautifully and accurately painted, Kevin! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean, hopefully you saw the Carthaginian troops as well. Thank you for your visit:)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Dude!! He looks excellent! I like the technique and can’t wait to see the white wolf as well.
    I love it as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I owe it to you MP for showing me that how to video. So thanks!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Phil I am happy with responses to this work so far. Have it on the Rangers of Shadowdeep Facebook page and getting nice comments there as well.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. Light to dark?? Never heard of such a thing! How the heck do you get the dark below the light. Unheard of!! Obviously it works! Very nice. You might need to post a link to that vid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Skip, it's an interesting technique, I'll send you a link.

      Cheers
      Kvin

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, been a few days since I've been on blog, and on top of that if you post past a few days posts have to be approved. Of course I didn't see it.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete