Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Carthaginians 28mm

Saga (a set of rules to play various periods at skirmish level throughout pre gunpowder era) has come out with a new set called "Age of Hannibal". I ask you, what little boy who ever was interested in military history has not heard of this man's name and fantasized about being this Great Captain of history? Well me for one, and to this day it still stirs something within me when I see books, figures, etc. covering this period of ancient times.

Of course I selected Carthage to paint up as my army, I leave the Barbarians, Greeks, and Romans to my friend to collect. I'm sticking to the studs of the period (okay in the end Carthage was conquered etc etc etc, but hey). 

I've chosen Victrix plastics to start off with because they are pretty good and cover everything you need for the period. As usual I glued my fingers together more than once and I broke like three spears and a sword which had me swearing about why they had to make these items so bloody thin. Come on man make them thicker or put some miracle ingredient (as long as it doesn't cause cancer) in them to keep them from breaking so easily. After all I have to push them around the game table and have them survive being handled. 

There are so many cool things to paint, it was what do I paint first! I decided to hold off on the Elephants, the Numidian cavalry, and other assorted goodies until I painted some of the Carthaginian veterans themselves. 

So up first are 16 veterans from Hannibal's campaigns. My pipe dream is to use Saga as a gateway to eventually have enough to use for Command & Colors Ancients. I have a 6 foot by 4 foot mat with five inch hexes on it and it's a quality mouse pad type. Very excited about having it. Not excited about painting 400 troops (cause I have to do both sides). 

Anyways enjoy the pictures. 

 



Cheers

Kevin

13 comments:

  1. What a great job! So much detail and love the shields!! You are a master!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know about that, but thank you sir, kind words.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Nicely done. The shields came out very well. I like the bases and the overall effect of the figs as a group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I was careful picking out my choices to give it harmony.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. HISTORICALS!!! Woot woot! Hot dang Kev! GREAT looking troops! That purple robed standard barer is magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would like this post Skip, your bread and butter:)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. The last line there (about painting 400 troops) is the main reason I switched to 10mm and then had them painted by someone else anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I feel you, but I will never go smaller than 28’s again. I was like you when younger, you’ll understand when you get to old timer stage, just like old timers told me;)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
    2. Oh believe me I get it. Hence why I had someone else paint them for me haha.

      Delete
  5. Cracking Veterans Kevin, well done! As far as CCA games go you can always use you Saga based figures with smaller unit sizes. I have movement trays for 3 x 2 figures on 20mm round bases about 90mm X 60mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cyrus, the ancient’s man himself, pleasure to have you visit. That’s not a bad idea, that could get me there sooner and able to game right away while still painting for larger scale.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  6. Great looking Carthaginians! Historicals no less!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete