Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Friday, July 24, 2020

Space Hulk commission

There’s a reason I don’t do commissions... normally. The reason is I paint it, I keep it.

It’s hard enough to paint for ones self, much less other people.

That said I have a friend that does not paint. He is a gamer. He buys games that use miniatures to play with on a game board. Not buys miniatures to game miniatures. So no paints, no skills (other than one color and a wash). When he really likes a game and will keep it forever, he commissions someone to do it for him. I usually resist.

Enter Covid. He is still working, I could really use the extra cash, the next thing you know I’ve struck a devils bargain.

So I took on 37 pieces, which I am normally lucky to do for myself in a year. Gone are the mass painting days for me. It’s more like, ooh, I like that figure and then will paint... a figure. Of course only on days I am motivated enough to even sit down to do so.

Like most, as I grow older, I’ve gone from having to collect large amounts of figures for mass battles, down to collecting a few dozen for skirmish wargaming. The reduced paint load has been a relief, and I’ve actually enjoyed painting more. I even have more time to do other things hobby.

That said, my friend knew this, and was willing and patient enough to wait for me to do them.

I finished up a very small prior commission of 10 figures for Freeblades, again with reasons above pertaining, to start in earnest on this one.

Here is a picture of where I am at with Space Marine Terminators. Then I have Genestealers to start. Both sides are very busy and require a lot of detail work. Space marines should be obvious in picture, genestealers because the bastards at Games Workshop made them on little dioramas.

But I will survive. I’ll get it done. Then when I do, and with a sigh of relief, I can go back to painting what I want to.


As always thanks for looking, and this time for lending me your ear to get it out;)

Cheers
Kevin

10 comments:

  1. I am with you regarding painting for others. I have more than I can EVER paint for my own armies without incurring figures from others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, add on top of that my ever revolving mind on what looks cool to paint and having to reign in and be disciplined enough to keep the wheel moving. I mean I want to paint Samurai, Mahdist wars, Afghanistan, and the list in my head goes on and on.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Great start, Kevin. I know you'll have them done before you know it and your friend will be equally pleased with them. As you alluded to, I think the timing for this is perfect. Due to the limited time spent outside of the house, I've managed to paint up stuff without much pressure - that is, I don't plan on hosting or attending games anytime soon. Time well spent painting, I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Dean, I’ll feel better once I get over the mid way point and can see light at end of tunnel. Right now I look at them and go ugh!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. Those minis are some of the finest snap-together figures ever made, I stole them from my son when he got the game for Christmas right after it came out and painted them just for the pleasure of working on such masterful creations. I'm sure that your work with top mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, though they are a bit chunkier in spots compared to the Terminator kits I’ve built (details not molded onto body making the, thicker in spots).

      I do hope they made it back to your Son’s game though;)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. It is nice of you to paint these up for your friend, even if he is paying. It looks like you're off to good start so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, and for stopping by as well.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  5. You're a painting machine, Kevin!

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete