Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Friday, July 10, 2020

Afghanistan 28mm Modern

A friend of mine did a barter deal with me. He built a couple of terrain boards for me, and I traded to him a couple of painted armies. I have had these nice 28mm modern figures for Afghanistan that Steve Dake painted up for me a couple of years back,  but no terrain that inspired me to want to bother putting them into the field. Oh I had glorious dreams about what I wanted, but not the skills to do so.

Upon seeing a terrain board my friend made for my Colosseum for a 28mm gladiator game I have called Arena Rex, the dream about getting Afghanistan boards suddenly became realistic.

Fast forward a few months, through covid, and taking care of family, I finally got hold of the boards a few weeks ago and got some time to set them up for a few posed shots.

What is super cool about these boards is that the terrain and buildings you see in these pictures literally have not changed one bit over the centuries. I already have ideas about doing the Afghan Wars the British fought during the colonial period, as well as Scifi, fantasy etc. etc. The boards are designed to be able to arrange on three sides of the board that is higher than other one so there is lots of flexibility in how I lay them out.

These are taken with my phone camera, but you get the gist.








As always thanks for looking.

Cheers
Kevin


14 comments:

  1. Your Near Eastern terrain boards are fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think so to, he did a marvelous job.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Fantastic boards, buildings and terrain Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I have to read some rules to use these most excellent items.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. " Oh I had glorious dreams..." Well I'll tell ya, this dream sure came true! Amazing terrain! Give us some dimensions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they have! Being a skirmish game I wanted to be able to play on one board. So I had him make them 3 feet by 3 feet. Each board is able to be arrange on three sides if I want larger games, so I can get 6 feet by 3 feet. Say if I was going to do a convention game or something, not likely in the near future though. So I have lot's of flexibility in designing scenarios with these boards, and don't see myself getting bored with them any time soon.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. Brilliant layout. These boards can accommodate quite a diversity in gaming periods. Should be a lot of fun to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, I love these boards!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, and thanks for stopping in to look. Your one of my hobby heroes that makes this hobby fun.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Aaron, hope all is well with you:)

      Delete
  7. The terrain looks amazing, Kevin. First class modeling. Your buddy is very talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed he is, and so happy to have these in my possession. I have some Crusader figures and it dawned on me I can use them here as well!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete