Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Friday, March 15, 2019

Malifaux: "Gremlin with no name"

[The Gremlin with no name... look out Clint]


A few friends and I have had our eyes on Malifaux (A Victorian, horror, steampunk, western type miniature game) for a while because the game engine is pretty neat being card driven instead of dice driven. But the first models were lead and (our opinion only) just awful, so it kept us away. That has changed over the years as they have come out with nicely sculpted plastic kits, though they are very delicate kits in this modelers opinion, but still very nice looking.

A few months back a local brick and mortar was liquidating their stock as they wouldn't be carrying them anymore and so they were half off. Did I mention Malifaux models are on the expensive side? Not AS bad as Games Workshop, but enough to make me think twice about investing into it. Being a long time Orc and goblin boy from way back with Games Workshop (fantasy or 40K) they had a very good selection of Gremlins. Enough like goblins and such to tickle my fancy so I bought a bunch, not even knowing if what I was buying would mix, but later as it turned out I did pretty good.

Having some other painting agenda commitments I couldn't start mine right away, but to my surprise one friend painted his crew, and another bought three painted crews off of Ebay. I have to say these guys weren't excited about it what so ever. So, as you know already, after finishing those damn Dark Elves, I got into painting my crew.

The friend who bought three painted crews off of Ebay somehow talked me into going to Adepticon the end of March. Now I have never been, but I hear it's worth going once. Since he'll do the driving, and he found a hotel that won't break my budget, I decided he needed a friend to go along with. So having never played, but a practice game, of course we signed up to do a Malifaux tournament. This has my motivation going so much,  that I painted eight figures over the past few days. I still need to paint four more but I didn't receive them until just today in the mail. So I should be able to complete my whole crew in time for event.

We played another practice game tonight and I will post those pictures at the bottom after I show off my crew. I expect us to get our butts handed to us, but that doesn't matter as we just want to have fun. But we don't want to ruin anyone else's fun so we are going to try to get in a few more practice games before we go.

In the meantime here is my crew so far.....

[The Big Boss "Ophelia]

[Pere Ravage]

[Raphael LaCroix]

[Rami LaCroix]

[Young LaCroix misfire]

[Young LaCroix trouble makers]

[Young LaCroix prankster]

[A few shots from my opposition side]



[My Gremlin's advance to firing positions]

[Of course no game would be complete without my best bud at my feet]


As always thanks for looking.

Cheers
Kevin





8 comments:

  1. I think thats the coolest cowboy goblin I have ever seen.....possibly the only one too... Haha very cool uncle !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like him too and haven’t seen one before until now;)

      Cheers
      The bestest coolest Uncle

      Delete
  2. Cool painting on some cool figures, Kevin. I like that misfire pose - oh, and the prankster is quite intimidating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, the pranster cracks me up, silly fun. Hopefully at tournament it equates into silly fun.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. The sculptor clearly was having fun with the models, they seem to capture the malicious glee of the old Gorka-Morka Grots. You brushwork is top-notch as always; well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Anton, I like the sillyness yet sinister undertone of figures.

    Cheers
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely finish on these green skins! Great fun!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These I actually enjoyed painting (unlike those Dark elves), thank you.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete