Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Gremlin's, Goblin's, and pigs

On the painting table I have Sammy LaCroix and three stuffed pigs (they are on the left of the photo below) to finish by this weekend as I need them for Adepticon next week. I will be playing in a Malifaux tournament and have only played a practice game or two and completely expect to have my collective butt handed to me. But my friend who I am going with and playing in said tournament says we will have fun. I am holding him to it.

I was at my local brick and mortar this past Saturday with a couple of friends before we headed off to the local pub, and we came across Games Workshops "Shadespire", a cross between a boardgame and miniatures. Age of Sigmar like, but you only have around seven models to push around on game board. It's a card deck building game, and I have heard good things about it on other blogs here, and from a friend overseas, amongst other sources. An add on stand alone game just came out this past fall called "Nightvault". It introduces magic. Also a few warbands or crews have come out for it. One crew or warband is called Zarbag's Gitz, a night goblin horde. I am a huge fan of Games Workshops old Night Goblins with all the wacky stuff they could do. A friend of mine’s birthday was St. Patty's day. He was with me at the shop and the luck of the Irish was with him because the boxes are in a green tone, and I started the whispering in his ear about how cool it would be for him to buy himself a birthday present right there and then. The next thing I know he not only grabs the Nightvault game, but the add on boards, and the objective packs and I was like whoa dude you are the greatest. Now to be honest I didn't have to work that hard on getting him to do it. I just knew he wanted to and gave him a little push.

Sooooo, it gave me the opportunity and reason to get Zarbag's cool warband, which you see on the right of picture below.

I know what your all thinking, it isn't about me, it was his birthday and should have been about him. But they where "NIGHT GOBLINS", I had to do it;)


As always thanks for looking

Cheers
Kevin

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Indeed! Not exactly historical's are they my friend;) Seems like your the only one, lately anyways, who will do historical's with me.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Shadespire is fast and fun. 30-45min per game, designed for best of 3 gaming. Deckbuilding is a significant part of the game though, for the better or the worse. The models are cool though, though I would not have chosen necessarily pigs and goblins.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool figures ,Kevin. Have fun at the tournament.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, I will do my best to at least smile while getting my butt whomped😉

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. Hey Kevin
    Yes, it was the subtle green glow of the boxes that drew me to them, and St Patty's Day did help. If my older brothers were there, I would have been talked into clearing the shelf of all Nightvault extras. They are very good at spending my money.
    Hahahahaha.
    Reading the rules, it's only 3 rounds.
    Move and/or Attack and play a card for each activation. Up to 2-4 Players.
    Let see ... 3 Boards, 3 Warbands, You,Me,Dave
    It's a brute fest !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, what you say about your brothers I would not believe, but I’ve seen it! You guys are hilarious:)

      I did not know Shadespire (the first game) is currently out of print. Went to ebay as most flgs were out of stock. Found a brand new copy for only five bucks more than list price. That’s pretty good, seeing most copies are selling for around 80!

      Cheers Kevin

      Delete
  5. Night goblins mmmm! Looking forward to them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, maybe end of next week, just finishing up Gremlin and three piggies for Malifaux at end of this week. I will post those before I go.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete