Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Pro or Con Convention report October 27th 2018

Pro or Con is one of two small conventions (or club events if you will) that my local club puts on. They put on Battlefields in March, and Pro or Con in October. We will draw anywhere between 75 to 120 people to our event. It's a one day convention divided into a morning session, afternoon session, and an evening session (which only the club and hardcore gamer's stay for).

The venue provides food on site, and a bar that opens at 2PM (it's an Elks Lodge). It's a great location, but I might be a little biased as I live three blocks away. Life can't get better than that! Well at least hobby-wise;)

I apologize to those games I didn't get a chance to include here, as my mind tends to wander when I have all this glorious gaming going on around me. Hopefully I got the pictures and names of hosts who ran them correct.

First up my eye caught the famous Battle of Hastings. One look at a distance and it was instantly recognizable by fans of the period. Looked really cool. It was run by Rodney Cain, using Triumph! miniature rules.

[below starting positions]

[below later in the game the Normans advance]

What convention could go without a game from the future, X-Wing 2nd edition being setup by Chad Marlett.
[below the Force be with you]


Next up the game I played in and one of the reasons that kept me from going and taking more pictures because I was having a blast. "The Cruel War in the Spanish Netherlands", using Pikeman's Lament rules and put on by John Thull, were modified for a better convention experience. For instance a player may have four units, and the first failed command check would keep him from activating the rest of his command. Instead only that unit would fail, the rest of the units still eligible to try and activate. When a player comes to play, let'em play!

The forces of Louis XIV's France and the Dutch Republic square off in the countryside of the Spanish Netherlands (today's Belgium) in 1690. 

[below is my command two French aggressive gallopers, and two units of command shot]

[below Dutch rear guard]

[Below my forces pushing the rear guard hard]

[below on my left flank more French pressure the Dutch]

[The Dutch rear guard hung on just enough, as I push in for the final confrontation, to do a little bit better than they did historically, which was getting completely wiped out]


Up next was the "Battle of Vienna 1683", run by Michael Zajchowski. The Holy League Armies of Austria and Poland engage the Ottoman Turks during the Turkish Siege of Vienna, using Field of Glory Rules. He had a nice setup and it looked like the players were having a lot of fun.

[pan of the battlefield]

[Below a view of the Turks]

[view of the Holy forces and you can just see the famous Polish Winged Hussars on either side of the infantry.]


Now our club members will bring games to setup just in case we don't have enough games put out to cover our player attendance.  I wanted to give a special hats off to club member Mark Magdowski for carting his stuff out and setting up the game, but not being needed, he stepped back so other game masters would be able to have players for their games. Mark setup Stephenson's Depot which was at the end of The Second Battle of Winchester was fought between June 13 and June 15, 1863 in the lower Shenandoah Valley. 


Now the next game up was really pretty looking, and I only caught it when they were starting to pack up, but it still deserves some photo's. The game was called "Charlie Don't Surf: Mekong Delta 1967", run by Michael Harris and using what I believe were home grown rules? Not sure but here are a couple of photos.



Last but not least, I got a chance to play in a "Gangs of Rome" game. It was called, Just "Roman" the streets (cool title), and run by Mike Broyles. His description of the game went... "Come and enjoy a day in a Roman forum (not THE Forum), shop, chat and make 'arrangements' for later.  Just be sure to bring your best knife and 'trusty' friends."

Since the release of this game I've been wanting to check it out, and I am glad I did. It was a lot of fun, and Mike made it so. Playing a one off is cool, but I can see where playing a campaign adds a lot to the game. I really liked that each player had a different agenda, yet they were intertwined with other players agenda's. The big multi stands full of figures are mobs, and they are really cool. They can help you move, but they can also panic and stampede and hurt you pretty bad as well. Any ways here are a few pictures.





Well that's it for now. I was supposed to do a pick up game of Blood Bowl, but unfortunately my opponent became ill and went home earlier (have no fear he is doing better). So my first Blood Bowl game as well as report will have to wait for another day.

If you've read this far, it's because your a hardcore hobby enthusiast and I thank you for your time.

Cheers
Kevin








10 comments:

  1. Superb looking games, Kevin! That's quite a good crowd showing up a one-day event too. Love the "Charlie Don't Surf" game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and are attendance was officially 80. Not bad.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. "Up next was the "Battle of Vienna 1683", run by Michael Zajchowski."

    THE Michael Zajchowski??

    Sounds like you had a grand time! Some excellent gaming going on there. And what could be better than a game of Pikemens Lament with Anton??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir Skip, the big Z was there and having fun too.

      It was great fun, wish you could have been there.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. Lots of great looking games! Must try pikemans lament at some point it sounds like loads of fun!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your looking for a game that doesn't take long, gives you the feel for the period, you won't be disappointed. What it doesn't do is get deep into the details of the period for those who are hardcore for the period, but it is fun.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. Hey Kevin
    I had a blast playing the game. While I was able to free the slaves, you were ransacking the slave trader's gold. As you would say "It Was Glorious".
    The ability to move around with the "Mobs" was a really neat tactic. And they did panic in our game, and moved in all directions, Yikes!
    I still need to check out "Blood Bowl" sounds Brutally Fun !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Al it was great that you could come out and partake. I took a big chance when my boys popped out of one mob right next to you. I was like I hope his agenda is to take me out. So imagine my surprise when I went trotting away you didn't pursue me. I was like, whew!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a fun day. Pity about your friend not being well enough for Blood Bowl, but hopefully you'll get to test out those Orcs before too long!

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, some more people hoped on board the train. People are painting. I think they've learned not too until they see I've made some progress.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete