Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Macedonian's

 One of my very, very rare painting commisions. Painting up an Alexander Saga Army for a buddy.

He bought Pikeman standing at attention and after a think I decided to only make the pike shafts 2.5 inches long. The three foot rule goes into affect here. From a distance they look longer than spears so will still have the Pike impression. They will be easier to store. Most importantly they will be less apt to be knocked over reaching across the table to move them. 

I filed the tips of the pikes, but they still porcupine’d me a few times, but drew no blood, so good enough.

I was researching what the infantry actually wore, and decided to discard all the "Artist" impressions and go with a more historical feel. 

The only thing I am waiting for are the shields. The shields they came with suck..... and my friend is having a friend print some off since Victrix shield pack is out of stock. When he gets those I will apply sheild transfers and that will give these figures a lot more color and life.

Here is a shot of eight done of the twenty four pikeman working on. 



As always thanks for looking.

Cheers
Kevin


4 comments:

  1. I agree about the length of the pikes, in 28mm a twenty-one foot pike would be over 4" tall, "proper" length is completely unplayable. As long as they look "longer than spears" they are just fine. As always your brushwork is superb; crisp, bright and precise. I can't wait to see the rest of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anton! Kind words indeed. We need to cross swords one of these days.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Very nice. I agree with Anton. It is your usual outstanding brushwork. Shield transfers are the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave! Hopefully your Welsh are coming along.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete