Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Sunday, September 24, 2023

The Falcon and the Dragon

This past Saturday my local club ran their fall convention called Pro or Con. It typically draws between 90 to 100 people. Attendance was down to around the upper 70’s this year probably due to the fact that Michigan and Michigan State both having home games, having to schedule the convention a month earlier than usual, and finally to some damn fine weather that probably drove family obligations now that school is back in full swing. The convention, being a one day event, is divided into a morning, afternoon, and evening sessions.

I ran Battletech’s Alpha Strike during the morning session. I gave the game name as “The Falcon and the Dragon” with the premise description that Clan Jade Falcon had discovered a House Kurita secret base exploiting a Lostech find. The Clanners sending a raiding force to capture or destroy the base. 

I was going to have a Trinary vs a Company, but keeping it small and simple counting on having newbies I went with just two stars and two lances with the Kurita player having LRM base defenses to help out as well as some Battle field support deck cards.

The pictures are in order from just before players started filing in. The game was supposed to last six turns, but at the end of turn five the Jade Falcons had lost four mechs to Kurita’s seven. If you look close at the Green die around center of table you can see what turn it was. I was pretty caught up managing the game so I think I missed taking pictures of turn three. I learned a lot from this game on what mechs I would pick for future games, along with some other tricks. For shooting we used the Pilot die system which I am a huge fan of. Bottom line my players were having fun and getting into it, and there were a few oohs and ahhh, especially after a Kurita Mech took a critical and blew up from an ammo hit.














As always thanks for looking.

Cheers
Kevin














8 comments:

  1. Excellent. Ammo explosions are always a crowd pleaser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh indeed, there were at least a dozen critical's rolled, several of them the infamous 5 and 9 (nothing happens), so they were quite pleased to see the ammo one finally come up.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Oooooooo!! Great fun! Glad you enjoyed running a fun game! When the players have a really good time playing you know you have done a good job. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Skip! I know you would have had fun as well.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. Great looking game table Kevin. Ended up playing the stars war death star battle. Your game looked pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary, I did have fun running it.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Why thank you Aaron, it was fun!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete