Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Witch King of Angmar

  "Upon it sat a shape, black-mantled, huge and threatening. A crown of steel he bore, but between rim and robe naught was there to see, save only a deadly gleam of eyes: the Lord of the Nazgûl... now he was come again, bringing ruin, turning hope to despair, and victory to death. A great black mace he wielded. "

Indeed despair is what I would feel if I were to cross this evils path in the night...

When painting black, you simply can not paint it black. Light reflecting off black can give you all sorts of colors, black grey, black blue, etc. Getting this right on a miniature figure requires patience and lots of blending, glazes, or whatever technique you choose. The trick is to bring it together in a soft way, otherwise you have it looking too stark and you see the reflections and not the black. In other words, too much and it looks grey or blue instead of black. 

I am coming to better understand color theory and able to look at colors and know what bottle of paint to grab, but patience and perfecting technique is something that takes a lot of practice.

I think I am getting better, and though my goal is not to be a Golden Demon winner, it is to satisfy myself. I am somewhere in-between with these two models (in softness and starkness) I have posted below, but I am satisfied with what I have done. My gaming table will definitely be better when this model is placed on the field.









As always thanks for looking.

Cheers
Kevin






8 comments:

  1. Nicely done! To master black is to master all.
    Love the horses eyes!
    I might have placed a yellow flower or two on the base though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Skip, it was especially important I felt to nail the horses face with all that black. That’s a good idea about yellow flowers, that would give that all black another splash of color.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Oh hell yeah, that is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is how you paint black!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir, and I hope you are able to get your Guards finished before convention.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete