Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Battletech: Phoenix Hawk

So I got this crazy idea to try showing one of my jump jet equipped Mechs in the process of lifting off the ground. My choice was the Phoenix Hawk model from the new plastic Catalyst Lab Games. It's pose standing made it an easy choice to simulate a flight take off. 

I drilled a hole in the crotch of the mech and into the mdf base and used a clear rod to insert mech onto the base. I had it on a painting stick for awhile thinking about how I wanted to simulate the flames etc. when oops, knocked it over and the rod broke off on the inside of mech, doh! So I had to drill out the rod and do it again but lesson learned, don't be a clutz. 

I decided on using greenstuff, and once I made some up I wetted my fingers with water to handle it easily. I started out with a blob on the base and then sort of stretched it up to the jump jets. It was almost perfect first time, I just had to use a hobby knife to mold a few more twists and turns in the greenstuff. Then I let it dry over night. I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I just primed it up, started with an Ivory and then went to town building up the highlights and shades for the jump jet exhaust. 

This Mech was also painted up in the Draconis Combine colors for the Genyosha. It will be part of a Medium Battle Lance. You'll note the decal on the left breast of the mech, and the front right knee. I cut the decals out of sheet and eyed them up on where I was going to place them on the mech, then gently used a very sharp xacto blade and cut both decals into three parts without cutting all the way through the decal paper. Then I soaked them in water the appropriate time and then gently lined them up on the breast and the knee as there were sharp angles and separate plates.

Here are a few pictures. Hope you enjoy them.






As always thanks for looking.

Cheers
Kevin


6 comments:

  1. Ultra cool effect of the rocket engine and smoke!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anton! It was a blast (har har) to make!

      Delete
  2. Awesome figure, Kevin! Love the flaming lift off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean it was something a bit different worth a try once.

      Delete
  3. Hot Dang! It looks fantastic! The effort you put into figures constantly amazes me. Well done Sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Skip. Doing one at a time instead of whole armies is quite satisfying.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete