Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Friday, December 17, 2021

Arena Rex: Iason

 One of my favorite poses for my Ludus we have "Iason" here. It makes me think of the Spartacus Movie with the legend Kirk Douglas himself who sadly passed away in 2020 at 103 years. Old age got to him and not the blade of an opponent in the Arena. 

I replaced the spear with a metal one cause the resin one supplied just sucked as far as sturdiness goes (not artistically, but game survivability). 

I think I did a little better on the skin job, and my greatest art critic (my wife) at first gave it a thumbs down, told me it needed a little dry brushing to bring down the starkness of it, didn't believe her, had a huff about it, but in the end she was right. Now I am one step closer on my journey of learning to paint skin like the pros (thank you honey).... but I do thank the gods I only have a few more left so I can go back to painting lifeless robots.





As always thanks for looking.

Cheers
Kevin


8 comments:

  1. Another great looking gladiator, Kevin. I've softened skin tones sometimes using a light wash of Vallejo Flesh Wash. You can always go over the highlights again with the original flesh color (or even lightened a bit with white).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, that's a good idea, thanks for sharing.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Very nicely done! The flesh tone looks quite good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think I’m getting there.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. Very nice. I feel unqualified to comment on painting techniques since my current miniature painting exercise involves color blocking epic scale figs with a #2 flat brush. My figs look quite good when I remove my reading glasses and look at them from a couple of feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, and I hear that. Got me to laugh out loud about glasses. Also that’s not a bad idea. I’ll just paint and play without my glasses on and I’ll be fine. Though I have a feeling I’ll do a Jim and have my figures facing the wrong way on the tablešŸ¤£

      Delete
  4. Finally had to breakdown and paint a figure with lots of skin..... I feel your pain, I hate painting skin-tones too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anton, I’ve taken a break and am painting a robot for a quick change of pace.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete