Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Saturday, April 6, 2019

Adepticon 2019 Part 2... rolling hot at Adpeticon on Saturday

In my first report "Adepticon 2019 Part 1" I quickly went over the events that happened on Friday, the day we arrived. What I didn't mention was that I got up at 4:30AM to be on the road with Rob at 6AM. It's a 4 and a half hour drive (on a good day, depending on traffic) to get out there. Chicago is an hour behind us so we got there around 930AM Chicago time. I must say the day went by in a blur. We were on our feet until midnight and I was exhausted by the time I hit the sack.

But the initial adrenaline rush (or so I thought) was survived so that when we got up to head back over on Saturday morning we could take our time and take it all in at a slower pace. Yeah right!

The night before Rob mentioned he wanted to show me a company that makes custom display/carrying cases. So when the vendor area opened I reminded him and we went straight over to tackle it. The company is called "Active minds Games"  The owner gave us a really good demonstration and the product seemed solid and inexpensive so Rob and I bought two each of the white cases, along with the metal inserts you have to buy separately. They have a sticky on the back so you can glue them down in the cases, then place your miniatures (with magnets on their bases) in the case. I think they will be super handy for transporting my Infinity figures or Malifaux to game events.


What's cool about them is their inter locking features. You can lock more than one as a stack, side by side, or both as you see in picture above. Kind of like legos, and it has a pretty solid carrying handle you can securely attach to the top.

So with our newly collected treasure, Rob suggested he take them out to the car and stow them while I was going to walk back over to the Arena Rex booth to decide if I wanted to buy that Lion or Tiger I saw the day before. But it was a hard choice as I also had seen some very, very cool Mythic Japanese figures from the game "Bushido New Dawn" and I had an idea about using one of them for my Samurai army for Saga as my General.

So Rob went on his way and I hadn't taken a dozen steps when he had come back and tapped me on my shoulder to get me out of my stupor and said he wanted to show me something and that it was a surprise. I said okay and turned around to follow him. I was like "what(?), did he arrange for my wife to show up or something with a handful of cash?", yes I really do have an awesome imagination!

So as we are headed out toward the entrance to the vendor hall he suddenly slows up and side steps to the right and nods over to my left and....................

OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!!!! Were the words that came out of my mouth very loudly as I bent over in disbelief! One of my FAVORITE Youtube personalities was standing there with another of my favorite Youtube personalities, smiling back at me, and all were a little surprised by my reaction. Yes I am a man in my elderly years, no I have never acted like this before... like a 16 year old girl seeing the Beatles in real life for the first time. But it did happen and it even surprised me.

It was Ash from Guerrilla Miniature Games, and Owen, who to my utter shame kept calling Collin (no idea where that even came from), from Gaming with the Cooler. I was blushing, stuttering, and practically froze up. You see I had no idea they were going to be there and I was taken completely by surprise. Ash and Owen often show Infinity battle reports, among many other cool games, on their channels and I have yet to find better production value from anyone else on Youtube. Not to mention they are super cool! So another check mark on things that I wanted to achieve at Adepticon, and this was THE highlight of the event for me.

From left to right looking at the picture is Ash, me, and Owen (NOT Collin). Also notice the shirt I am wearing, truly an excellent pick for the day!


When Rob came back after dropping off our miniature cases, and I had recovered from my near heart attack, we started roaming the vendor area only to come upon another favorite Youtube personality in Uncle Atom form Table Top Minions. The day only partially begun, had it ended right there and we had to go home, I would have been completely satisfied. Just wow.


Okay back to looking at miniatures. I couldn't make up my mind about getting a Lion or Tiger from Arena Rex guys, so I ended up getting a pack of miniatures from GCT Studios from their Bushido New Dawn line. Bushido is an oriental fantasy tabletop miniature battle game for two players. I wanted to get the following guy but they had sold out the day before.
This is Hokibo, Kurama Samurai (above, the sold out one) and using him as my General in my historical Saga game, I know my buddy Skip's troops would have pooped their miniature toy soldier pants in fear of him. But oh well, I instead got a pack of these mighty fine bird men (below picture) which I will sprinkle among my Samurai. I think it will have the same effect.

This is the Tengu Descension Starter Set, the front row of five figures, and they look pretty sweet.

Here are a few more photos of the Japanese mythical creatures from Bushido New Dawn line.





After that we came up to the Mantic Games booth where they had brand new copies of their soon to be released "Hellboy game", could this day get any better! I have all of the Graphic Novels for Hellboy and I had no idea this was coming out and was quite excited (you may have noticed I've been excited the entire time, but hey). Rob and I dived into a demo game, and had it not been for the fact that I had already gone through half of my resupplied food money for the day I would have bought the entire collection! If I go next year I will simply have to start saving up from this day forward. Hellboy is a tile placement, card flipping, solve a mystery, shoot'em up type of game.


Here are some painted up samples for the game.








Just wow, I am sooo glad that I had the opportunity to come to this event.

Our next Demo game we played before we went to sit in the lounge area for a bit to rest up and have a glass of much needed whiskey (thank you Rob!!!), we tried a game of Freeblades from the company DGS Games. A skirmish fantasy game that had some cool mechanics and we liked the character cards and the idea that you campaign and build your character up like role playing (just don't get them killed or there will be some heavy sobbing).

In our demo game Rob got to be the Amazon like tribe/clan, and I got to be Roman like legionaries riding dinosaurs. Yes you heard that right, freaking dinosaurs! The game simply rocks just for that reason. How could you not love Roman Legionaries and Dinosaurs combined! Here is a few shots of our demo play.



Now here are a few shots of some of their painted mini line for the game.










Our last demo game of the day before we had to go to our actual signed up game of "Witchborn", was back over at Corvus Belli's booth and we jumped in on trying out their game called Aristeia!, this is like futuristic gladiator combat, or like arena football on drugs. Something like that. Had Rob and I not already been totally immersed in their Infinity game system we might have bought it. We had fun playing it though and the low miniature count and small area required for play are both pluses for us old dudes.



After this we had a bit of time to walk around before our Witchborn game started. I will make one final post in the next day or so where I will dump and tag the photos of all the events, and other interesting things we saw.

The Witchborn game started at 6 and finished up around 10 oclock. It was a lot more complicated than we thought it would be for a skirmish/role playing game, though the game did have some merits to it, but we agreed it wasn't something our meta would pick up on and want to play. We did have fun playing, and "Snake Eye's" Rob had the most amazing dice for a change and actually won the game! It came down to him and another player each having only one figure left, neither one of them able to finish the other off. When it came time for Rob to do something with an NPC (Non Player Character that was this giant beast bouncer type guy) he had him pick up a table and whip it at the other player and rolled spot on and crunch went the Dwarf, and the last standing Elf danced a little jig as he had escaped the very same treatment when the Dwarf player had the NPC whip a table at him on the previous turn! Ah, those Elf's are quick on their feet.

Thus ended our Saturday at Adepticon.

Cheers
Kevin


















8 comments:

  1. Kevin, Thanks for posting the great AAR on the con. I hope to try to make it next. Maybe I can get John Thull to also. This show is on my bucket list. Hell I'm 70. Plus I have been talking about going since the first one. Drive safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh John would just freak out! Your not to young to still go, but I highly recommend having a good travel buddy. It makes a big difference at this one being able to share the experience.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Wow Kev! Wow, wow, wow! Can there even be more? What a weekend. And here I would have gone just for the Saga! Amazing! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude we soooo have to do one of the Saga Tournaments. But have a full day to walk around and take in the Vendor area and all the great people. It is amazing!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. Very cool. Enjoyed reading about your awesome adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it was very awesome, thanks Terri.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete