Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Late Romans fourth unit for Saga and probably my last full unit completed for year.

Well I finally pushed these off the table, not literally of course, but if was a psychological one to push past for me. I have a couple of other projects for different periods that are begging to be next. Looks like I will go back and forth to keep my interest in painting up. 

These came out of the same box that my Legionaries came out of (Gripping Beast Plastic kit), and will probably be the only bow unit I do. My next unit for my Late Roman Saga war band will be more grunts to man the line. But I am thinking of using heads, and even the bodies, from the Gripping Beast plastic set Saxon Thegns. From what I am reading it's the Roman Citizens that are sporting beards, unlike early times when they would be clean shaven, and it's the Goths that are clean shaven. But since my dudes are all clean shaven it looks like I will do a bearded unit and call them barbarian recruits. 

Well enough of that, here are a couple of pics.



Happy New Years fellow hobbyist's 
Kevin


14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Joe man! Thanks for stopping in and having a look. Happy New Year bro!

      Delete
  2. I really like the shading you've done on the yellow. The purple is a perfect off setting color. Oh, and I do confess... I imitate your basing!!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Skip, I can’t wait till we meet in March and throw down!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. They look great! You've reminded me to get my SAGA C&C stuff done ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jay, and it’s understandable why you haven’t yet with that enormous Nappy project going down.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. They look great. Nice color combinations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A well received complement from an excellent artist himself. Happy New year Dean!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  5. Those guys look nice with the helmets. The term "levy" does not seem to do them justice.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly could pass for Levy, but in the Saga list for the Late Romans you can take Warriors with bow, only it drops your armor to levy equivalent.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  6. Look good and I'm with you on using up spare saxon thegns with roman head's or even with the spangleheim helmets from the box, happy new year!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain, I am glad to have someone reinforce my idea. I see beards on my Romans in the near future;)

      Many Happy returns!
      Kevin

      Delete
  7. Some darned good looking minis you have there! Late Romans have tempted me for years, but I took a Byzantine approach to the matter ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's a good one. Thanks for looking AR:)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete