Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

First miniature game on the 1st day of 2018

Grand kids, you gotta love them, and I do mine. I walk to the bus stop every school day to greet them and walk them home to baby sit. They are only at my house for an hour to hour and a half most school days.

What does this have to do with the first miniature game played on the very 1st day of a brand New Year you ask yourself? Everything. It's not that I mind baby sitting, it's them going to school and then coming home. You know the great catch all of all disease places other than hospitals.

So of course my grand kids have been sick through the holidays, and my daughter, so that means I came in contact with whatever virus they have, and guess who's sick now. Oh I was in denial and kept saying it's the frozen hell of Michigan weather getting to me. It's my allergies, it's this or that, but I am not getting sick dammit!!!

Wrong, today I feel like I was run over by a bus. But yesterday I had enough strength to play my good friend Rob in a game of Infinity.

We played 200 points Limited Insertion rules (basically that means you can't have more than one command group, limited to ten troops.), and the scenario played was "Firefight" from the Human Sphere book.

It all came crashing down on me at the end of turn two it was over. Rob played better, rolled better, felt better, it was written in scripture and foretold that I was going to have a beat down on me.

Lessons learned:

1. Don't play when you don't feel good.
2. Don't setup your dudes in the open on turn one and then give your opponent first move and expect him to be a nice guy and not maneuver and light you up on turn one.
3. Infinity is meant to play with lot's of terrain, so set up a lot of terrain (mental note build more buildings)
4. Start using the traits of your soldiers better and use smoke grenades.

Still I had fun, and it's mostly because Rob is a great guy to game against. Hopefully we get more opportunities to shake this game out more and learn more of the stuff we haven't even scratched the surface on.

Here are a few photos of the board, and Pano setup and Nomad setup.

Table setup

Nomad setup

Pano setup

Mostly this post was picture proof that I actually played a game on the 1st day of the year. I wish you all a healthy and prosperous year. Here's to having some fun gaming!

Cheers
Kevin









13 comments:

  1. Great looking game, Kevin. Hope you kick the bug soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, a game definitely for the strong of heart. It's not complex, but it is complex.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Ugh ... yeah ... nasty cold making its way around. I've been lucky so far. Game looks great ... you are already +1 games on me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and I was doing so well this year (last year?), and wham, so watch your six.

      Thanks Jay

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. Nice looking game, I say, lying in bed coughing, get well soon!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too? Ah man it is going around. I think it's a government secret lab testing their latest biological weapons:-O Or it could be just the common cold virus:)

      Thanks Iain

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. Awesome looking game. Like the building and terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not John's scratch built stuff, but I still had to assemble all that MDF stuff. Not just once did I glue my fingers together either.

      Thanks Gary

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  5. I like the buildings - like an updated Wild West main street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Steven, why yes indeed I can see that. The buildings are modular so once I get so more I can actually stack them and it will give a more big city look to it. If you look at the big, medium, and small those can stack to make a three story building for instance. But then I wouldn't be able to cover the rest of the board.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  6. Impressive and beautiful buildings, very atmospheric and immersive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil, yes I like them, bandua makes them pre-painted. It sure does help not having to paint them, though they can be a pain to put together.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete