Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Infinity: Nomads... Alguaciles from Operation: Icestorm set

I've had Operation: Icestorm set for a little while now and this past week I got the Art book from one of the painters I admire very much "Angel Giraldez". He works for Corvus Belli which produces "Infinity" figures and is head of their painting department. He also does work for the painting company "Vallejo" and tests their products and arranges painting sets etc.

Though he is only one of the several painters I follow, Angel has a special place in my heart. He basically stumbled onto the painting scene in 2002 or 3 and this from watching an ad on TV! I've been painting for quite a bit longer than that and to see him just pick up a brush and go like he does is just amazing to me. He is the "Tom Brady" of the painting world.

I probably will never be as good as Angel is but one thing he does for me is make me want to try. So these last couple of days I looked at the art book and a few online pictures as well and gave it a go at painting up three grunts for a game I will be partaking in this Friday. It's a learning scenario from Operation: Icestorm and the rules are a read to here stop play a game type, then next scenario adds a bit more and so on until you've learned the basic system.

My first foot soldier I have painted here for your viewing pleasure is a black soldier fighting with the Alguaciles. I was very excited to try as it was my first attempt and I really enjoyed doing so. I still have a bit to learn in getting the colors just right and blending. Here are a few photos of my first soldier.
 I went with a more orange-ish red than what Angel describes doing, and I did all the work by brush as I don't have my new airbrush yet. Though that's another story.

My second soldier looks like a hard case punk rocker and I just dig his hair cut. This guy was a blast to paint as well. It's not often I get to go off the beaten path of historical's and paint crazy hair. Here are a couple of shots of my second soldier.

My last soldier is a woman. Infinity, understand, is an anime based science fiction story line and with that you have, well, women that are all anime looking, for lack of a better word. I had fun painting up her hair as well, and though I am still working on the basics of doing faces well, thought I did a pretty decent job on hers. The last photo I tried to show a closer look.


It's a simple color scheme but lots of subtlety and I still have a ways to go in learning proper blending (and patience), but they are gaming figures and I am not trying to win a competition, though I am finding painting now a days is just as fun to me as gaming.

Thanks for looking as always
Cheers
Kevin

8 comments:

  1. Looking good! Those Infinity models are tiny which I find makes painting them trickier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steven, and yes the transition for me to go from 40K (heroic size) figures to this made me feel like I was painting 15's. Everything has to be done more sutle, or like I like to say "less is more". Have to remind myself painting these ever time.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. 3 figures an army makes! Who wouldn't like that? Kev these look really nice. The green haired fellow with that blue translucent "thing" on his arm... how ever did you accomplish that?? Amazing!

    Oh, and "her" blue medallion thing is well placed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Skip you ole sea dog you;)

      That blue translucent thing your talking about is called the gem effect. I learned that from someone, can't remember who, but it's basically a three layer approach using white to highlight edges. Took a few trys when I first did it, biggest thing is using the right color combo.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. Very nice! Especially the custom bases you have made.
    Apparently, the Nomads have some impressive and colorful hair care products. You will probably need tokens for this attribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You the man Dave! Though I can't take credit for the base idea, it was fun bringing it all together. The bases compliment the colors on figure very well.

      As to hair products, what a great idea, I will paint up some special tokens!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. Wow! Very cool. They all are done very well. Don't sell yourself short. You are very very talented. Nice job brother! Have fun gaming tomorrow. 😘

    ReplyDelete