Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

SF3D/Maschinen Krieger: Goblin

"He appears as a giant, obese, bloated goblin (more akin to a troll) with lots of warts, lumps, and scars, and carries a large staff decorated with an animal skull, closely resembling a ram, adorned with shrunken heads."

Thus goes the description of the Great Goblin from the Hobbit, and we find that the IMA's (Independent Mercenary Army) Goblin is not far off from that description.

At first glance it appears obese, bloated, with lumps etc., but don't let that fool you. Owing to the success of the HAFS (Heavy Armored Fighting Suit) Jerry, the HAFS Goblin was a dedicated attempt to make a heavier SAFS suit. This suit would utilize many of the advances of the SAFS whilst adding heavier armor and greater weaponry, in this case an additional three 100 mm rocket tubes. The movement system of the HAFS Jerry was mated to a SAFS for the cockpit, with only minimal modifications to account for the lack of arms and differing weapons load.

I will point out that the HAFS Super Jerry (which was designed around the same time as Goblin, but  produced after the Goblin) is the next generation of HAFS Jerry suits. It contains more armor (especially around the legs and closed canopy), additional sensors - including the indirect sighting system found on the SAFS - and an all new weapon layout of a laser and triple rocket pack, similar to that found on the HAFS Goblin and HAFS Gladiator. In fact, the HAFS Super Jerry starts to share a lot in common with the HAFS Goblin.

I did some conversions on my Goblin's, I drilled through the tail to place and pushed through a metal wire for the antenna's located back there and drilled out behind the cockpit hatch to place another. The final thing I did was to use some plastic card and cut it to the proper size of armor to protect the joints around the legs and used a match to heat it up and shape it. Yes I burned myself the first time trying it. But that's another story. 

Here are a few snaps of these bad boys.





As always thanks for looking.

Cheers
Kevin


2 comments:

  1. Great looking mech Goblins, Kevin. Nice camo work and additions like the antennas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, they were fun to paint.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete