Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Flamme Rouge a vintage 1930ish Tour de France game...

Flamme Rouge is a fast-paced, tactical bicycle racing game where each player controls a team of two riders: a Rouleur and a Sprinteur. The players’ goal is to be the first to cross the finish line with one of their riders. Players move their riders forward by drawing and playing cards from that riders specific deck, depleting it as they go. Use slipstreams to avoid exhaustion and position your team for a well timed sprint for the win.

The above is a cut and paste from Boardgame Geek about the game. There can be up to 6 teams. One of my friends likes these kind of board games, and when he is really into a game, likes to have the pieces painted up. So I agreed, but I am a pirate too, so gold was exchanged (arr I must have me gold!).

I found a 1930 old newspaper and decided I would paint them up retro style, using the old vintage ways. As each team is played with cards that are color coded I made the bicycles and the edges of the bases the player color. I couldn't bring myself to do flaming pink, so you can see in the photos I compromised a bit with that color.

These were difficult to paint as they were meant as simple game pieces not nicely detailed miniatures, so I did what I could. I am no Picasso, but I did my best to give them a good look.

First I show a few pictures of the riders and bikes used in 20's through 30's and then my interpretation for the 6 teams I came up with.

 [above Peugeot 1920 Tour de France]

 [above tour-de-france-1930ish riders]

[above tour-de-france-repairs]

[above tour-de-france-1930 newspaper]






As always thanks for looking!

Cheers
Kevin

16 comments:

  1. This is right up your alley!! Never thought a game like this existed
    .... Very cool! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the fellow cyclist in me helped in my motivation for sure;)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Aaron, and glad to have you back on the blog sites!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. Hot Dang Kev... These are amazing!!!!!!!!!! Really, really impressive! Whom ever got these from you is a very, very fortunate fellow.

    I've not ridden a bike in many years, and I'd play that game.......... with those pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Skip! Glad your surviving the zombie apocalypses, as I hope we all do.

      Hopefully will get a chance to get together and play this very game:)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. Oh, these cyclists are really terrific! FR is a fast and fun game and much enjoyed by me. I purchased a bunch of metal figures from France with an idea of painting the figures as you have done here. You are a great inspiration and your friend will enjoy these playing pieces, for sure.

    Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, a great compliment indeed. I am a cyclist so I did my homework, it’s my impression of what they would look like. I haven’t played the game yet, but I plan on it now that these are painted. Do paint your stuff up as I think it really enhances the game.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
    2. I, too, am a cyclist. FR presents many of the strategies, tactics, and decision points popping up during a race. Very clever game and very fun.

      I do need to get my cyclists into the painting queue. Again, I really like your style in this work.

      Delete
    3. Thank you sir, and you've made me want to try this game out even more!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  5. Great vintage cycling figures and painting Kevin - Vive Le Tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyrus, most appreciated:)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  6. Wow! Unexpectedly cool, Matt! Those bikers are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean, definitely not what I normally paint:)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete