Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Friday, November 15, 2019

Arena Rex another chapter in my hobby life....

   Having gone through the ceremonial preamble I struggled to breath through my now closed helmet vents. The stifling heat didn’t help and I could feel the sweat trickle down my neck. The roar of the crowd, as the gates opened to release the beast, shot adrenaline through my veins. It was showtime, the long hours of training, repeated over and over again until it became a natural reflex, were soon to be tested. I allowed a small hidden smile to crease my face. “I am Iason the undefeated from house Ludus Magnus, come forward beast and meet your demise!” I shouted. So began the dance of death that has transpired hundreds of times before in this ancient arena.....


Arena Rex, a historical fiction based gladiator game, has been something I have been into since Adepticon of March 2019. I have since bought a playmobile Arena, spray painted it, and then gave it to my good friend who promptly built an awesome diorama or vignette for it to rest on. You'll notice in the picture above I am holding the assembled miniature and a soft lead spear. The spear was too soft and bendable (but better than the resin one they supplied as well). So I got one of my metal pikes out and cut it in half to use as the spear instead. While the models are beautiful, they are very delicate. Assembly is not for the weak of heart, and testing fit before gluing has saved me more than once. Below is a picture of the assembled play mobile arena turned into a beautiful vignette. I only have the gates to finish painting and then place them.


I've two more models to assemble before I get down to priming and painting. The big thing was assembling them so I could practice the game a bit to give me a good feel for the mini's before I start investing a lot of hours laying down paint.

As always thanks for looking.

Cheers
Kevin

10 comments:

  1. Wow! That's super cool! Nice read too😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew my Spartacus girl would like this;)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Excellent figure, resin terrifies me as a medium for wargaming minis. It takes such intricate detail but is very delicate (and I am a klutz!). I would be better off with the stuff they used to make Superballs out of.
    Can't wait to see it painted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these figures could have easily been done in pewter, but I think the cost is less doing it in resin? Not sure, but they are fiddly and EXPENSIVE.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. I'm with Terri, you are indeed getting much better a writing this blog stuff!

    Another period!! Dude, you are going to run out of room. And you know what happens when you run out of room for your hobby stuff???? Like our mutual friend, the wife and her crap has to go!!!!

    Oh yah, the casting looks way cool. But my fingers are much too big for plastics!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Skip, I can spin a yarn once in awhile. Your not kidding about all the stuff either, BUT with this I only need five figures;) That is until I want to collect another band of whatever to add to it.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. Great looking figures and arena, Kevin. Looking forward to seeing more of this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean you are my one true follower, thanks for showing up and checking my stuff out. I have two more models to put together and then..... I have to paint them. These are going to test my abilities as I am not a great skin painter. Fingers crossed.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete