Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Around the World in 80 days (or in this case 95 days)

Well I only wish I could tell you that I have been on some great adventure these past 95 days (I seriously can't believe it's been that long since I posted anything), but then I would have to tell you a story.

The truth of the matter is basically much more simple. My Grand kids were out of school for the summer, and I had to step up and watch them during the day. Yep, family comes first. Now my grand kids are awesome, but at the end of the day I am just mentally exhausted. The last thing I wanted to do was sit down and do anything hobby.

That and trying to get myself and my Wife back in shape on the bicycle so we could go on our on tour this year after having missed doing so the last two years because of her bout with Cancer. She is cancer free now, but it has left her tore up after the radiation, chemo, and major surgery. So both of us are starting from scratch. After such a long period off the bikes we have lost a lot, but more importantly I still have my stoker partner (we ride a tandem together and the person on the back is called the stoker, the person in front the Captain) around to peddle at all. I will mention this about biking though, had it not been for the great shape she was in because of biking, I am not sure she would have had the physical endurance she showed to make it all the way through. Along with that and her mental hardness, I will simply say she was and is one tough son of a bitch. No way I could have endured what she went through.

Then over 4th of July I ended up in the hospital thinking I was having a heart problems, but it turned out to be heat exhaustion, exertion, and a wacky thyroid that went wackier after suffering heat exhaustion. My resting heart rate had dropped down to 40, and though I would like to think I am a world class athlete, I am simply not and knew I was in trouble. Took a few weeks to recover from that, but I am doing much better now, so I won't bore you with any more details other than to say thanks to all of you that emailed me to make sure I was still walking around on the planet.

So with one more week to go, my grand kids head back to school, so I expect my mental capacity to stabilize and hobby related stuff to get back on line.

Cheers
Kevin

PS
I expect to make a hobby post tomorrow as I have actually painted 12 whole figures this past week. You heard it right, 12 whole figures. Amazing, even though subconsciously I seemed to keep trying to sabotage my work.






12 comments:

  1. Glad to see you return! It is also good to know that you and yours are well. I am looking forward to getting thrashed playing SAGA with you and Skip in a month

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished assembling 18 more infantry. Hopefully this week the grand girls will give me a chance to paint them, then 12 more cav.

      Yes indeed looking forward to a game day!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. You've had a lot going on, Kevin. Great to hear about the upcoming bike tour. You must have the toughest stoker going around. Congratulations to you both on getting through and wishing you much happiness and a long, uninterrupted sequence of tours together from this point onwards!

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir, though we had to bail on tour on day two. She’s not quite there yet, but indeed we are looking forward to the future. We used to ride 25 miles on week days and then 45 to 70 on weekends, but quickly discovered we had to lower our expectations because of reality. Though we are back up to 25 again and speed is coming along with that.

      Good luck on your move.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. Welcome back, Kevin. Family time is quality time, so well spent! Now lets see some figures and gaming :) Lol! Like I should talk - after being away so long sometimes too. Best regards, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean! I feel you fellow hobby enthusiast;)

      Later tonight I will be posting some hobby pictures. Pikemans Lament finally has me.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. Glad you are back. Stay health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary, we are on track, but more importantly enjoying the time together doing it together.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear your back, I've barely posted this summer and my excuses are nowhere near as good as yours!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain:) As far as posting goes sometimes you just can’t help it, the posts will flow when you feel it and want to share. When you do us fellow bloggers will gladly google over your eye candy and read the stories you share:)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  6. I heard that you had run off to Aruba (with your secretary) and weren't ever coming back. Good to see you've come to your senses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, Aruba is over rated, and having a mistress is waaayyyy to expensive for someone who can barely afford the miniatures he's painting.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete