Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Monday, October 5, 2015

Saga mini con basement style!

This past Saturday I hosted a 4 player mini Saga tournament. We only used 4 points of troops, no special anything allowed, and played the same scenario for all games, Clash of the Warlords. You also had to stick with your original point choices, though you were allowed to reorganize them from game to game into different size units. With 4 players it made it possible for us to play three games, hence the reason for playing the same scenario for every game as it gave each player the same level playing field against all opponents. Most wins would determine our Champion, and tie breakers would be eliminating opposing Warlords followed by total troops eliminated. We also had a time limit of two hours but none of us went over this.

The Armies involved where the Anglo Saxon's who chose: 3 points of Warriors, and 1 point of Levy (all spear and shield armed), Vikings who chose: 2 points of hearth guard (one of which was berzerk type) and 2 points of Warriors (spear and shield), Welsh who chose: 4 points of Warriors (javelin and shield) , and lastly the Byzantines who chose: 3 mounted hearth guard (1 of which was bow armed), and 1 warrior (bow armed) . I will mention that the Dice Gods must have thought my tribute not enough so totally abandoned me after my first game.

Round one.... Anglo Saxons VS Welsh

My first game was against Dave our rookie player having played only twice before. Though in this game he played nothing like a rookie player. As a matter of fact he gave me a good run for my money. Dave was using my Welsh war band as we are still trying to convince him to paint his own army (hint, hint Dave). Though we went the full 6 turns, it was on turn 6 that he gravely wounded my Warlord putting him down and scoring went 13 to my total of 7. Had my Warlord survived he still would have beat me by a few points.
Saxon's on the left and Welsh on the right

My second game was against Rob and his Byzantines. This was a tough army for my Saxons to face as he could dance away at will. But fatigue and Saga dice allowed me to get a good whack at his bow armed warriors. I was able to lower his armor to 2 which meant I only missed on ones with a six sided die. I had 16 dice and proceeded to roll eight ones. Then he rolled FIVE SAVES!!!! I was not a happy camper. Any ways I lost this game 11 to 9. But man oh man am I going to have a talk with that Oracle!
Byzantine dogs on left VS Godless Saxon's on right

My last game was against my regular opponent Mark and we both knew this would be a slug fest as we know each others play style all to well. So well in fact that we spent the first 4 turns dancing around like two drunk boxers manuvering so we could gain an advantage. Mark finally was man enough to take that step forward and turns five and six was all blood and gore! Again I had a chance to get one up on my wiley opponent at a key moment being able to roll 14 dice needing three's or more and I missed on 7, then watched him save half. It was really hard to hold back my tears.... The game ended in a draw 13 to 13. Both of us could have made a few different choices that would have given us a win, but in the end it was only just that we ended in a draw. Two true warriors who fought until they couldn't stand anymore!
Saxon's on the left VS my arch rival Vikings to the right

Our Champion ended up being our rookie player Dave who tied in wins, Warlords taken down, and so it came down to point count which he won by 2 points. So the Welsh won the tourney followed by the Byzantines, Vikings, and my sad butt with the Anglo Saxons. 

All in all we enjoyed ourselves, and we all look forward to doing this again in the future, but next time I will have a secret army, but more importantly a new Oracle who will speak highly of me to the dice gods!!!

Cheers
Kevin

6 comments:

  1. What fun!! And Dave won! Sorry I missed this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were definitely missed Skip, but your Steppe Nomad (with Skip special Steppe Nomad rules) were not;)

      I might have a few lads convinced to make the pilgrimage down south this coming March. So hold on to your hat.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an excellent time was had by all. But ahh the misfortune of the dice... It happens to us all eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice of you to stop by Lee, though it seems this dice thing with me is becoming the norm and not the exception;)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. Haha, great report. Looks like one of those days that will live long in the memory!

    Cheers,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aaron,

      Thanks, even finishing last, I still had great fun playing each game. I am lucky to have a good bunch of lads close by to game with.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete