Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Friday, October 15, 2010

Project Cassino research material

First of all I'd like to mention that I have a hard time staying with a project. I'll do some of the project, move on to another one, or simply get bored and put it away until I feel like it one day again. To try and keep myself motivated and stay with it I keep my painting session short. I set goals and try to sit down and accomplish this. I also try and listen to mood music (for whatever mood I happen to be in). But most of all I have found that if I am reading a good book or watch some movies, etc. on the period that this helps the most. I bring this up because I found a most excellent book called "Monte Cassino - The hardest fought battle of WWII" by Matthew Parker. Now that's a pretty big statement to make when there were so many hard fought battles, but let me say if it wasn't then it's in the top ten. I have really enjoyed this book and have found it to be an easy read, and his facts seem to be on target. Well I am not here to give it a review but if your a WWII buff and love to read about the battles then this is a must book.

I have decided that I will paint up units of the 1st Fallschirmjager Division, 4th Indian Division, and later in the project the 2nd New Zealand Division. This is the only battlefield in WWII that has such diversity in units that where involved. Not just Americans, and the British, but French, Polish, Brazilian, but this is another story. Here are just some of the books I will use to help with my painting them up properly.


I recommend getting the four above as they show actual uniforms, weapons, etc. and they are loaded with good information and lot's of color pictures.
 The above book is another good one for unit badges and the like. Not really hot on the color drawings but it's still worth having. I will use other sources that I have (like some of the Osprey books), but mostly I will adhere to the above.

Well that will cover my post for today, until next time.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment