Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Wednesday, December 7, 2022

More Middle Earth, Saga, and herds of animals!

 So being an avid cyclist (not your go out and ride around the block type, you know those dudes that dress up in spandex and look like pro racers but aren't😉) it happens that this can cut into my painting time. When you go out and ride around 2 hours and beat yourself up, you don't really like sitting down to paint much after that.

Why am I saying this? This past month has been a little odd. My wife and I were given a gift by our grandchildren in the form of an RSV type cold. It hit my wife harder than me, but we were both laid low for two weeks because of it. I being a smarter than average bear stayed off the bike to allow my body to recover. But when I got better I made a decision that benefitted me in more ways than one. I decided to stay off the bike for another two weeks. 

Man I am so happy I did. I hadn't realized how hard I had been pushing my body, and I started to feel better than I have in a long time. I am back on the trainer now and slowly building myself up, but I haven't felt this rested in a long time. The other super cool benefit was I painted my ass off.

In those two weeks I have painted 18 mounted Huns, 6 Warg riders, 4 stands of various herds for gaming with as objectives, and three objective markers. I also popped off 12 foot off their bases that a friend gave me a few years back and remounted them and completed the bases the way I like. I also stripped 8 Cavalry I got from same friend and redoing their bases to match my Huns I am painting up.

So all in all I have been highly productive, feel well rested, and ready to get that Hun army completed for Saga so I can start kicking some Saga butt!

So here are a few snaps of what I've worked on.


[above are my six Warg riders, I didn't go all out fancy, I just wanted them game standard so I can play Age of Magic (Saga ruleset) or Middle Earth Strategy Battle game]


[above are the foot figures I got from my good buddy Skip and remounted and flocked, paint job is his]


[above are three objective markers I need for some scenarios in Saga]


[above are two stands of Sheep herds from back in the period and I painted these not to be fancy but functional for scenario objectives for Saga]


[Finally same as above but pig herds from back in the day]

I realized after painting these four stands of animals that I will need two more, grrrr. Normally each player needs three, but I know my fellow players will never get around to doing so, so I will have to.

Well as always thanks for stopping by!

Cheers
Kevin












9 comments:

  1. Everything looks amazing! Excellent work!! They look great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice my friend!
    Both the physical rejuvenation and (obviously!) the painting progress! Figures look great!
    Who makes the foot?
    You apparently have some very good friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Skip who lives a 1000 miles away, that would be you… though you may not have any friends down there (per my silly vid message) you still have a Yankee friend here.

      I believe the majority of those figures are from Foundry’s Enemies of Rome series.

      Cheers

      Delete
  3. Kevin, are you interested to Scottish cowes? One with the long horns and short height. I make 3d resin printed one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warg Riders are looking great! You have officially caught the LOTR bug! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Jay, yes I am torn between painting Middle Earth and Huns. Hmmm, maybe I could use the Huns for Rhohan:P

      Delete
  5. Are you still into saga? I keep debating getting age of hannibal once the queue opens up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like the Punic wars it’s absolutely a great pick up. Saga is my go to miniatures game right now.

      Delete