Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Sunday, April 2, 2017

Showcase: Kirk "The Viking" Douglas finished!!!

Yes! It always feels good to finish a project, and this one was fun. If you read my other postings then you'll know that this special Gripping Beast (limited edition from what I hear) of Kirk Douglas was given to me as a gift by a friend. Kirk Douglas turned 100 years old this past December 2016 and what better way to give tribute to this actor than with a little vignette of him in his starring role in the movie "Vikings" from 1958.

On Kirk's helmet is a little dragon, and I knew I needed to make sure I had a banner that was worthy of him. Well I didn't have to wait long for inspiration, because if your like me, you buy all sorts of Hobby magazines and I came across a beautiful flag that was hand painted by a gentleman named Alberto Mateos who was featured in "Painting War, season 1, issue 7". God I wish I could hand paint flags like this guy. His flag had a few different features and I just went for a basic scheme with the Dragon head on both sides of the flag. This fit perfectly I thought with Kirk's helmet and complimented it quite well I think.

So I hope you enjoy what I came up with and here are the pictures.

[clicking on the pictures will make them bigger]
Cheers
Kevin

8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Kirk would be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Nice work. Question...Are those hand painted flowers I see on the grass? Did you do that? The whole piece is very good. I love looking at all the details. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not hand painted flowers, there pull outs you can buy and I glue them to the base. Thanks!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. You are so digustingly good! Do you have no limits? Very very nice!!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MP, and yes I do, you should know you were just at Adepitcon and that stuff blows mine away!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Aaron, and for dropping in to have a look. One day I will paint some Romans for you to google at;)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete