Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Friday, May 8, 2015

My Welsh Warlord

A few weeks ago I had met up with my friend Skip in Cincinnati and we did a little trade. He got my Anglo Danes and I ended up the his Welsh. I can't tell you how excited I was when I got home with these lads. I won't tell you that I immediately placed an order for a Welsh Warlord mounted on a pony, along with 8 mounted warriors, and 4 mounted hearth guard (though I am still waiting on these as the vendor said they were in stock when they were not, but I got everything else), nor that I ordered shield decals from Little Big men, or new movement trays from Litko. No I wasn't excited what so ever. Calm, cool, and usual collective me.

I think I set a new world record (for me) painting a Warlord. Like it was out of the package getting cleaned up and primed same day it came in the mail, and painted the next! For me that's like being Super man, faster than a speeding bullet type of fast!

After all the work that I put into it I almost screwed it up by putting too much mat finish on it and frosted his cloak causing me to have to repaint it. But it came out alright in the end. Thank goodness!

So here are a few snaps that I hope you enjoy.

Cheers
Kevin

 

6 comments:

  1. Great job! That tunic is especially striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aaron, it was my first attempt at doing a plaid design. I was really struggling to come up with a color scheme for the Warlord and then I saw a picture and said I can do that. Let's just say there was a lot of touch ups being touched up;) It was fun to paint though.

      Delete
  2. Kev!!!! You did that in ONE day??? Amazing! Beautiful work.

    Now,,,,, get after those other 8 fellows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Skip! I gamed with them today. I found their Achilles heel in the Normans. It was a blood bath. But even losing, as soon as I got home, I opened up the 8 mounted warriors and started having a look. I think I need at least one mounted unit to go a chasing some of those nasty Norman peasants!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful, love the amazing details...a great job!

    ReplyDelete