Blog discription

What will you find here? Ramblings from an aging gamer-miniature painter. When I first started out in this hobby computers were in their infancy and finding other gamers could only be done by going to conventions or as in my case bumping into somebody who happened to see me reading "Panzer Leader" on the school bus. Look how far we have come! The internet has allowed our small community to be able to connect on a level I never dreamed of when I was but a small lad. What I do hope you will find here is something interesting from one wargamer/miniature painter to another. I paint miniatures somewhat decently, so I will be posting some pictures of my work, and perhaps a review or two of games and/or miniatures. Most of all this is just about having fun and anything I post here is meant to be for that reason.

Friday, December 15, 2017

Saga: Moor Black Guard

Wow, I have no idea what happened but more than three weeks have gone by like... like... poof! When your a kid you want time to go faster, when your an old fart you want time to go slower. Somehow I must discover the secret of painting miniatures slowly, with little advancement of actual time. Hmmm.....

Well I painted up some Gripping Beast 28mm Plastic Arabs. I actually need 8, but rushed these 4 so I could use them in a game I played the other day (which is also why the bases are plain, I didn't have time to do the flocking). It gave me a good opportunity to see how they worked out on the field. Definitely will not use just 4 in the future but an 8 model unit. 

The Plastic Arab foot kit that comes from Gripping Beast is very nice. I didn't feel like they felt so wooden like some of the kits do from them. Putting them together was not complex, but patience is needed. I really, really liked them, and for the price you can't beat them. When I base my plastic figures I always glue a metal washer the same size as their base to give them some heft, and is a true fix from keeping them falling over on battle field when your hand brushes against them. 

Here are a couple of shots of them awaiting the base flocking, with a sample of a Perry figure that has the base done the way these boys will have. It certainly will make them pop a bit more.


As always thanks for looking.

Cheers
Kevin

12 comments:

  1. These look amazing. I like the black accent coloring. Very nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MP, and if your not painting Infinity you are wrong!!! Target 200 points dude!

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. Nice, I love plastics because it is so easy to modify the poses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anton, and I agree, though some kits it's a real challenge because of the stiff posing. But still even some extra work to do so can be worth the cost savings of plastic.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  3. You did well with the black. A hard color to do. I like the splash of color on the belts and shields. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Skip, I am very happy you like them as they will soon cross swords with you😁

      Delete
  4. They look good - I think the bases will help balance the colours a lot. I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely I agree, the sand color will make a big difference in their look.Thanks Steven:)

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  5. Nice plastic Arabs, they've turned out well shields are very nice too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ianin, though I should mention the shields are transfers from Little big men studios. I did have to match paint on shield edges, and paint the backs but otherwise it’s all transfer.

      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  6. These fellows have been drafted to a Southern team. Woohoo!

    They now fight for a different (more experienced and better looking) Warlord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, the secret is out. These were painted for my friend Skip, who is better looking than me, for Christmas present (and obviously arrived at his location). The bases left undone on purpose so he could match them to his army. I am still painting up 8 for myself.

      Delete